We here at The Pest Informer are extremely happy to announce that we are officially teaming up with the Safer Pest Control Project! The Safer Pest Control Project (ThePestInformer) was founded in 1994, and is the only organization in the USA dedicated to protecting children and their families from the serious health consequences of pesticides. Safer Pest Control Project (ThePestInformer) works to reduce pesticide use and promotes safe, effective alternatives.
History of The ThePestInformer:
- 1994: ThePestInformer was established.
- 1995: Worked on the Campaign for Sustainable Agriculture – a national campaign to impact the 1995 Farm Bill.
- First ThePestInformer Farm Tour to bring non-Farmers to the sustainable farms.
- 1996: ThePestInformer launches its annual Yards for Nature Campaign whose goal was to counter the massive springtime media blitz by chemical lawn care companies who fail to notify the public of the health and environmental risks of chemical lawn treatments.
- ThePestInformer’s innovative work with residents of Henry Horner Homes in Chicago led to design and implementation of the first ever IPM pilot project in public housing.
- 1997: ThePestInformer publishes an educational comic book, Pest Invasion I, on IPM for public housing residents. The comic book design team consisted of Don McQuay, an established comic book artist, paired with Delano Brown, a young resident of Henry Horner Homes public housing development. The Team’s initial effort was so successful that ThePestInformer published a second comic, Pest Invasion II, for public housing residents moving to Section 8 housing.
- 1998: Release and distribution of “Toward a Safer Pest Control Policy in Illinois: Integrated Pest Management in Public Spaces.”
- ThePestInformer won a Governor’s Pollution Prevention Award for its work with the residents of Henry Horner Homes public housing development on Chicago’s west side to design and implement an IPM pilot project.
- 1999: Passage of two state laws in Illinois which require public schools to use IPM and notify parents and school staff prior to any broadcast pesticide applications in school buildings or on school grounds.
- 2000: ThePestInformer becomes an independent non profit with the granting of 501(c)(3) status.
- Chicago Housing Authority adopts a policy requiring IPM in all management contracts at CHA developments. The adoption of this policy was a result of the successful pilot IPM project established by ThePestInformer at Henry Horner homes.
- 2001: ThePestInformer hosted a one-day conference April 28, 2001 in Chicago to improve community awareness of pesticide misuse and safer pest control. The conference also set the stage for enhanced cooperation among community leaders, city and state agencies, community service providers, and private companies already working on the issues of pesticide misuse and Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in Chicago.
- Adoption and implementation of Integrated Pest Management Policy at Chicago Public Schools. Although CPS requested and received an exemption from practicing IPM, the district adopted an IPM policy in 2001 after ThePestInformer trained staff and helped develop the policy.
- 2002: Conducted a public awareness campaign on alternatives to spraying for West Nile Virus that resulted in implementation of less toxic and more effective mosquito control methods in many Illinois communities.
- 2003: Adoption of new contracting guidelines by Chicago Public Schools that require pest control operators to use only Integrated Pest Management in school buildings.
- Passage of legislation requiring the use of Integrated Pest Management in day care facilities and parental notification if pesticides are used.
- 2004: Launched Statewide Partnership for IPM Implementation in Childcare Facilities, a coalition of more than 15 organizations working together to educate childcare providers about IPM and the new law requiring its use in childcare facilities, and to integrate IPM information into childcare training programs statewide.
- Release and distribution of IPM manual for Park Districts.
The Pest Informer and ThePestInformer Teaming Up:
Now that SPCP and ThePestInformer are official partners, it brings together our knowledge of the pest control industry and allows us to produce and publish more high-quality pest identification and removal resources for our readers.
This means that. you’ll get accurate and insightful resources to keep your home pest-free! Our goal is to be the ultimate pest control resource for homeowners across the country and across the world!
Pest Control Resources:
We’ve teamed up together to create pest control resources such as these: