No one wants to discover they have bed bugs. These little pests are obnoxious, seemingly impossible to get rid of, and can severely disrupt your life.
While bed bugs are not known to transmit disease, their bites can cause itching, swelling, and other allergic reactions in some people. Infestations can also cause significant emotional distress and can be difficult and costly to eliminate. Thankfully in this article we’ll be talking about our decision for the best steamer for bed bugs!
8 Best Steamers For Bed Bugs – Quick Look
- Polti Cimex Bed Bug Eradicator Steamer – Professional Grade
- Wagner Spraytech Steamer. – Best At Home
- Rowenta X-Cel Handheld Steamer
- Dupray Neat Steamer
- Vapamore MR-75 Amico
- 1600W Multifunction Steamer
- Hapyvergo High Pressure Steam Cleaner
- Ivation All in One Household Steam Cleaner
Best Steamer for Bed Bugs
You can use high-temperature steam, at least 140°F (60°C), to most effectively kill bed bugs and their eggs.
Here are some of the best steamers on the market today.
1. Polti Cimex Eradicator Steamer – Professional Grade
The Polti Cimex Eradicator is a professional steamer designed to kill bed bugs with superheated dry steam up to 356°F (180°C), and is easily the best steam cleaner for bed bugs on the market, but it is expensive.. Its patented steam disinfector nozzle generates exceptionally hot and dry steam that penetrates porous surfaces, cracks, and crevices where bed bugs hide. This is the best bed bug steamer on the market and is designed specifically for bed bugs. Unfortunately because it’s the most effective, it also comes with the highest price tag.
The superheated dry steam kills 100% of eggs and 90% of adult bed bugs instantly.
During delivery, the steam is mixed with HPMed detergent to eliminate the smell of bed bugs and dissolve the gluey substance that binds the eggs to surfaces. It is also effective against viruses, bacteria, germs, fungi, and spores. It can be used on any surface or fabric and directed into hidden corners and nesting areas. Since there are no chemicals involved, customers can immediately re-enter the treated area.
- Steam reaches 356°F (180°C)
- Dry steam allows for greater penetration into porous surfaces
- Detergent eliminates bed bug smell
- Kills 100% of eggs and 90% of adult bed bugs
2. Wagner Spraytech – Best Personal Bed Bug Steamer
The Wagner 915e Power Steamer is a chemical-free steam cleaner that comes with 18 accessories and nozzles. It can be used for multiple household tasks such as eliminating bedbugs, removing wallpaper, and cleaning floors, countertops, appliances, and more.
The Wagner Spraytech heats up to 212°F (100°C) in under nine minutes and provides 40 continuous minutes of cleaning power on a full tank. It’s easy to use: just add distilled water and turn it on. It’s also suitable for outdoor cleaning tasks like cleaning grills and outdoor furniture.
- Heats steam hot enough to kill bed bugs in under nine minutes
- Runs for 40 continuous minutes
- 18 accessories and nozzles
- Can also be used for cleaning and removing wallpaper
3. Rowenta X-Cel Handheld Steamer – Handheld Steamer
The Rowenta X-cel Steam First Handheld Steamer is an ultra-light and portable steamer designed for daily use at home or on the go. It features a quick 15-second heat-up time, 1150 watts of power, and a continuous steam output of 20 grams per minute for efficient steaming.
The steamer has enhanced safety features, easy steam on-demand, and a removable water tank for a smooth garment care experience. It can be used on any fabric without the need for an ironing board and is versatile and safe to use on larger items like furniture and toys so you can easily get rid of bed bugs.
- 15-second heat-up time
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- Removable water tank is a breeze to refill
- Kills 99.9% of bacteria, germs, and bed bugs
The Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner is a powerful, multipurpose steamer that’s built to take on the toughest jobs. This steamer is compact, light, and portable and comes with 17 different accessories so you can reach every bed bug in every nook and cranny.
The Neat steamer superheats the steam to 275°F (135°C), allowing it to kill 99.99% of bacteria, viruses, and pests. The large-capacity tank provides up to 50 minutes of cleaning, making it perfect for tough jobs.
- Heats steam to 275°F (135°C)
- Includes 17 accessories
- Runs for 50 continuous minutes
- Can be used on fabric, upholstery, floors, and in cars
The Vapamore MR-75 Amico Handheld Steam Cleaner is a professional-grade steam cleaning machine that uses only water to quickly and effectively clean and sanitize multiple surfaces without the need for chemicals. It comes with 17 attachments and weighs only 3 pounds, making it portable yet powerful for high-performance cleaning on the move.
The product is built for a lifetime of use and comes with a lifetime manufacturer warranty, as well as USA-based phone and email support. Vapamore is a company that combines the most powerful elements of nature, water, and heat, into the world’s most advanced steam cleaning technology.
- Heats steam to 210°F (99°C)
- Includes 17 attachments
- Lightweight and durable
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty
The multifunction handheld steam cleaner is designed to clean stubborn stains and remove dirt with high-pressure steam that is chemical-free. It heats up in 20 seconds and reaches a maximum temperature of 212°F (100°C). It features an extension tube, a detachable flashlight, and a knob to control the water inlet for different steam water content.
The machine is easy to use and saves water compared to traditional hand wash cleaning. With high-pressure high-temperature steam and strong spray force, it can easily kill bed bugs, remove stains, and create a clean and comfortable living space. The product comes with a one-year warranty, and the company offers free replacement for quality problems caused by non-human reasons.
- Heats steam to 212°F (100°C) in 20 seconds
- High-pressure steam release
- Easy to use
- One-year warranty
The Hapyvergo High-Pressure Steam Cleaner includes a 3.3-foot water inlet hose and produces high-powered steam up to 221°F (105°C). The thick outer shell, built-in evaporator, and stainless steel electromagnetic pump ensure durability. It has safety features such as overheat and leakage protection.
Buyers are advised to use tap water without detergent and descale regularly. It comes with a one-year warranty and may produce smoke if the ON/OFF switch is not used properly, but the smoking phenomenon will disappear after several uses.
- Heats steam to 221°F (105°C) in 20 seconds
- Overheat and leakage protection
- 1700 watts of power
The Ivation All-in-One Steam Cleaner system converts from a floor mop to a handheld steamer and is suitable for cleaning a variety of surfaces such as hardwood, appliances, furniture, car interiors, and more. It comes with 17 accessories, including brushes, pads, and interchangeable parts for different cleaning needs.
The system can reach a maximum temperature of 275°F (135°C), sanitizing 99.9% of harmful germs, bacteria, mold, and mildew without chemicals. It has a compact water boiler unit with temperature control, a 15.4’ power cord, and a 6.2’ hose for easy maneuverability, and can provide up to 45 minutes of continuous steam cleaning.
- Steam can reach temperatures of up to 275°F (135°C)
- Includes 17 accessories
- Extra-long power cord and hose help you access difficult-to-reach spots
- 45 minutes of continuous steam
The SteamFast SF-210 is a portable steam cleaner that comes with 6 versatile accessories and a 12-foot power cord with a 28-inch extension hose to reach hard-to-get areas. It heats up in 3 minutes and provides up to 8 minutes of steam, without using harsh chemicals, to naturally deep clean a wide range of surfaces.
This steamer has an easy-to-fill tank and on-demand steam control so you can use it anywhere in your home. The product is supported by a customer service team in Andover, Kansas, and comes with a 2-year warranty. It is designed for use only in the U.S. and meets U.S. voltage requirements.
- Heats water in three minutes
- 12-foot power cord and 18-inch extension hose
- Easy-fill, six-ounce tank
- On-demand button activates the flow of steam
What Are Bedbugs?
Bed bugs are small, reddish-brown parasitic insects that feed on the blood of warm-blooded animals, including humans. They are flat and oval-shaped, with a distinctive “bed bug” odor, and are typically about the size of an apple seed.
Bed bugs are known for their ability to hide in tight crevices and cracks, making them difficult to detect and eradicate. They are most commonly found in and around beds and other sleeping areas, but can also be found in other parts of the home or in public spaces such as hotels and theaters.
Bed Bugs usually get into a home or building by hitchhiking on clothing, luggage, or other items that have come into contact with an infested area. Some common ways that people can unknowingly bring bed bugs into their homes include:
- Travel: Bed Bugs are often found in hotels, hostels, and other places where people sleep. They can hitch a ride on your luggage or clothing and travel back home with you.
- Secondhand furniture: Used furniture, particularly mattresses and upholstered items, can be a source of bedbugs if they were previously owned by someone with an infestation.
- Public transportation: Bedbugs can also be found in buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation, and can easily hitch a ride on your clothing or bags.
- Visitors: Bedbugs can also be brought into your home by visitors who have an infestation in their own homes.
Once bedbugs are introduced into a home, they can quickly spread to other areas and become difficult to eliminate. It’s important to take precautions, such as inspecting used furniture and being cautious when traveling, to help prevent the introduction of bed bugs into your home. That being said, using heat is the best way to get rid of bed bugs!
How To Tell if You Have Bed Bugs
If you suspect that you may have bed bugs, there are several signs you can look for to confirm their presence:
- Bites: Bed bug bites often appear in clusters or lines on exposed skin, and can cause redness, swelling, and itching. However, not everyone reacts to bed bug bites, so the absence of bites does not necessarily mean you don’t have bedbugs.
- Stains: Bed bugs leave small, dark stains on bedding or nearby furniture from their feces, which is digested blood.
- Smell: Bed bugs release a distinct odor, often described as musty or sweet, that can be detected in infested areas.
- Live bugs: Adult bed bugs are visible to the naked eye and can be found in the crevices of mattresses, box springs, and headboards, as well as behind baseboards and other furniture.
- Cast skins: As bed bugs mature and grow, they shed their skins, which can be found in the areas where they hide.
How to Use A Steamer to Kill Bed Bugs
The way a steamer works may vary between brands, but here are the general steps for using a steamer:
1. Read the instructions: Be sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific steamer model. This will ensure that you use it correctly and safely.
2. Preparation: Remove all bedding, linens, and other items from the infested area. Vacuum the area thoroughly to remove any visible bed bugs, eggs, or debris. Use a crevice tool to vacuum along seams and other tight areas.
3. Fill the steamer: Fill the steamer with distilled water, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Heat up the steamer: Turn on the steamer and let it heat up until it reaches the recommended temperature for killing bed bugs.
5. Steam the infested area: Hold the steamer wand a few inches away from the surface of the infested area and slowly move it back and forth to release steam. Be sure to cover all areas of the infested area, including along seams, corners, and crevices. Avoid using too much steam, as this can cause items to become saturated and possibly damaged.
6. Allow the area to dry: After steaming, allow the area to dry completely before replacing bedding and other items.
If you are looking for other options on killing bed bugs you can consider using bug bombs for bed bugs!
Final Thoughts On Bed Bug Steamers
When bed bugs dare to intrude on your home, you need to pull out all the stops to defeat them. Steamers are a great way to manage small infestations before they become big infestations. They also serve multiple purposes in the home, making them a great tool to keep around.
Bed bug steamers are a helpful tool in the fight against bed bugs, but they should be used as part of a comprehensive treatment plan that may include other methods such as vacuuming, encasing mattresses, and applying insecticides. It’s always a good idea to consult with a pest control professional for the most effective treatment plan.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this guide on the best bed bug steamers, and it was helpful in dealing with your bed bug infestation.